How do I become a child of God?
John tells us in his
Gospel (John 1:12) that those who received Jesus, the Word of God, were given the right to become his children. Jesus came to save sinners (1 Timothy 1:15). He lived a life of perfect obedience on our behalf. He was a perfect sacrifice for our sins on the cross. He has done everything necessary to save us. He certainly and assuredly saves those who turn to Him in faith and repentance. Here is what you should do:
1. Come to Jesus in prayer. Jesus promised that He will not drive away anyone who comes to Him (John 6:37). Cast yourself on his mercy. He will hear you (Mark 10:46-52).
2. Confess your sins to Him. He promises to forgive your sins if you confess them and give them up (1 John 1:9; 2:1;
3. Ask Jesus to become the Lord of your life. He promises to come in as soon as you open the door of your life (Revelation3:20). Surrender your life to Him (Romans 12:1-2).
4. Receive Jesus as your Saviour. By doing this, you will be a child of
God (John 1:12). You can only receive Him by faith, in prayer. Ask Him to come into your life.
5. Thank Him in faith that He did come in to change your life. He keeps his promises (Hebrews 11:6).
6. Tell others what you have done, and how your sins have been forgiven (Roman 10:9-10).
7. Start to live in obedience to Christ (Philippians 1:21; Galatians 2:20; 2 Corinthians 5:14-15), also by meeting regularly with other children of God.