Speaking in tongues
You want to know whether speaking in tongues is
allowed for Christians? I think the Bible says "yes". Paul, the well known Christian leader of the New Testament says that he himself once used the gift of tongues (1 Corinthians 14:18).
There is an important second question and that is: How must the gifts of the Holy Spirit be used in the congregation? Please read 1 Corinthians, chapters 12, 13 and 14 very
carefully. In those chapters Paul deals with the gifts of the Holy Spirit and gives special attention to the gift of speaking in tongues. I want to stress the following main points on the subject:
1. Be thankful and humble for whatever gift has been given to you. It is a gift from God. You do not deserve it. Therefore you cannot be filled with pride because you possess it (1
2. The whole congregation must share the benefit of the gift which you have received (1 Corinthians 12:7). Not only you must benefit from it, but it must strengthen and build the whole congregation (1 Corinthians 14:4; 1 Corinthians 4:12, 26).
You must not cause division and strife within the congregation by your gift or gifts (1 Corinthians 12:25).
4. Everybody does not receive the same gift. The Holy Spirit gives different gifts to God's children, as he wishes to do. (1 Corinthians 12:11). Therefore no one must regard himself, because of his gift, more important than another who has not received the same gift as
he did (1 Corinthians 12:21).
5. The greatest gift of all is love (1 Corinthians 12:31 and 1 Corinthians 13).
6. Speaking in tongues is mostly used in prayer when we speak to God, and not so much when we speak to others like in a sermon (1 Corinthians 14:2, 14).
7. Speaking in tongues must always be accompanied by interpretation so that everybody who listens can understand what is said (1 Corinthians 14:13).
8. Speaking in tongues is intended for private use when I am in my prayer closet, and not so much for use in the
congregation (1 Corinthians 14:18-19).
9. Speaking in tongues is, according to Paul, not the best way to reach an unbeliever with the Gospel of Jesus (1 Corinthians 14:23-24).
10. Speaking in tongues must never dominate the activities in any service or company
of believers (1 Corinthians 14:27).
11. My speaking in tongues must never confuse the listeners (1 Corinthians 14:33).
May the Lord bless you and give you a gift with which you can help to build the Lord's congregation.